By: Arthvader Jan 20, 2013 | 4 Comments | Updated: Jan 21, 2013
Goukijones, Batrasterd, and I take on Pete the Invincible using a glitch to our advantage.
On Wednesday, January 16, Goukijones, Batrasterd, and I went and took on the raid boss of Mr. Tourge's Campaign of Carnage, Pete the Invincible. During the course of this particular fight, though, we ended up getting Pete into a spot where he essentially got stuck, allowing us to defeat him without much issue.Read full story...
By: Arthvader Feb 16, 2012 | 5 Comments
Another day, Another potential team to use. Find out why I would use these two in a team in the upcoming Street Fighter X Tekken.
Once again, I've decided write another story about another potential team for this game. This time, I'll be talking about these two characters:
Rolento from Street Figher / Final Fight & Bob from Tekken 6Read full story...
By: Arthvader Dec 3, 2011 | 4 Comments
Does this updated version of The King of Fighters 98 keep up with its predecessors? Find out in this review.
I've been a fan of The King of Fighters Series for a long time now. 98 was one of my favorite in the series. The first time I had a chance to try this game was at Metrocon 2008, in which I was able to play it on the PS2, through an imported copy. I was hooked to the updated ver., I ended up going on a huge winning streak. when the convention was over. I did alot of searching, seeing if this port would arrive to the US. it wasn't until 1 year later when the game was released onto Xbox live. right away, I picked it up and played it for a very, very long time, mastering my characters, and beating people senselessly online, and meeting plenty of friends. several years later, I'm ready to give my review for this game.
As you can see from the main menu for this game, the game offers various game modes. ARCADE PLAY is the standard 3-on-3 team battle mode. SINGLE PLAY is the 1-on-1, best two out of three battle mode. ENDLESS is pretty much a survival mode, testing how much you can knock out until you are knocked out yourself. with every game, there is a PRACTICE mode so that you can try out new techniques. the CHALLENGE mode offers 30 different missions which tests your very skill at the game, which can vary anywhere between doing a simple command, performing complicated combos, and even beating a set of enemies (I'm looking at you, challenge #21). NEOGEO MODE actually switches over to the classic KoF 98, which was one of my favorite game in the series. Xbox LIVE is the last one I'll mention, as it is your online mode.
The standard battle format in The King of Fighters series is a 3-on-3 team battle, in which the objective is to knock out all of your opponent's characters. Befor selecting your characters, though, you'll need to select a style. In 98UM, you could choose between ADVANCED, EXTRA, or ULTIMATE. ADVANCED allows players to dash, use a roll evasion, and have a three stock meter, in which it gains and extra stock whenever you lose a character, for up to a total of 5 stocks. EXTRA allows players to quick step, dodge in place, and a meter that they can charge. As for ULTIMATE, this will allow players to mix and match between both the ADVANCED and EXTRA, allowing for a unique setup, such as having the stock meter and dash, but having the dodge instead of the roll evasion, etc...
The game's roster consists of up to 42 characters, with some of them spanning from various SNK games (Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, Ikari Warriors, Psycho Soldier). Some of these characters also has an extra version that can be selected by holding a certain button before selecting the character. Personally, My main character, and personal favorite of mine, is Athena Asamiya, the female member of the Psycho Soldiers team.
in terms of the controls, there are four main buttons: Light punch, Light kick, Hard Punch, and Hard kick. when both light buttons are pressed, depending on your choice of style, will allow you to do the roll evasion, or dodge. when you have at least have one stock in your meter (ADVANCED), or a fully charged meter (EXTRA), by pressing light punch, light kick, and hard punch at the same time, you will go into what's called MAX mode for a limited time. In Max mode, your attacks are stronger, and when you perform your SDM (Super Desperation Move, aka Super move), it'll be more powerful, visual changes will appear, and after the attack, you'll be out of max mode. Using a SDM will cost one stock out of the meter, and if you're not in MAX mode, and have three stocks, you could do the MAX mode verion of the SDM at the cost of three stocks. the last thing I'm going to mention is the assist attack, in order to do an assist attack, you have to be dizzied on your side of the field. if you still have people on your team that hasn't fought yet, when you are dizzied on your side, you can press light punch, light kick, and hard punch at the same time, and one of your partners will jump from the background and attack your opponent.
As you can tell from the screenshot (sorry, I couldn't find a better one at the moment), it still retains that classic KoF artstyle. Each of the stages were greatly improved from their original appearance, with some stages being new. This is what I grew up with when I play SNK games, and I'm glad for this type of style.
Just like with the graphics, the sound quailty retains its vales for the series just as well. For those who have the PS2 ver. players can switch between the original tracks and an arranged ver. of the soundtrack for the game. In my opinion, I like both versions of the music used in the game. Here's some samples (these videoes includes both versions of the songs) :
All in all, this particular KoF game is one of my most favorite ones to play, in which I still do against some friends from time to time. nowadays, the game is pretty much dead online, so it'll be hard to find someone online unless you made an arrangement with a friend to meet up online for some battles. If you ever get this game, let me know if you want to have a couple of battles.
Final Verdict: Buy It!!!
Before I end this story, here a video of a fight i had with an old friend over a year ago:
Leave your comments in the bottom, and don't be a Jimmy!!!
Other stories done by me:
By: Arthvader Apr 17, 2012 | 5 Comments
My thoughts on what I believe to be an awesome game. Achievements will be explained as well, and learn how to unlock the 10th color palette.
It's been almost a week since I've bought Skullgirls, and I have to say, I'm very impressed with how this game. For days I've been playing this game, getting to know more about the cast of characters, as well as knowing how the mechanics of the game works. To me, if feels like a mix of multiple fighting games, such as street fighter, the marvel vs. series, and the guilty gear series, all rolled up into one game. The roster is very unique, ranging from a grappler character that has a hat with giant arms, to a character that was based around 40s' or 50s' cartoons, to even a character that is pretty much an mixture of the entire cast.
Of the current roster, I have to say my favorite, and the one I'm planning to use the most, is none other than Valentine. Other than being a nurse, she is also a ninja. Plus, she reminds me of a lot of ninja characters I played with on other fighters, especially Chipp Zanuff from the Guilty Gear series, which is just about the reason why I immediately went ahead and started practicing with her. She has some very useful setups and moves, such as her poisons, which can cause passive damage, increase hit stun, or even cause input lag, a dash more similar to Chipp Zanuff's Alpha blade, to even a body bag Izuna Drop. The one thing that I could say about her that is even more unique is the ability to revive a dead teammate. This is a very useful technique, even if i need to save up a full set of meter.
I really do like the music that was put into the game. It was composed by none other than Michiru Yamane, the same person who composed the music for the majority of the Castlevania series, from Symphony of the Night and onward. At the same time, I really also like the art style used by Alex Ahab in this game. It gives off the vibe of an original, dark, deco world that I could appreciate.
And now, on to the Achievement Explanations:
- Sküllgirls - Graduation day has arrived at last! Mrs. Victoria's so proud of you
- How to unlock: This is unlocked by clearing the entire tutorial mode under training. pretty much self-explanatory.
- Treads of Fate - Follow all threads of fate to their inevitable conclusions.
- How to unlock: Pretty much self-explanatory as well. this will unlock as soon as you completed everyone's story mode. Do note that you'll gave to complete Filia, Cerebella, Ms. Fortune, Parasol, Painwheel, and Peackock's story to unlock Valentine's Story, and then beat Valentine's story to unlock Double's. Finish Double's Story to unlock the achievement.
- An Ensembled Cast - There may be no I in "team," but there is in "variety."
- How to unlock: this one requires setting up alot of custom assists. on the character select screen, when you select teams, after picking a character, you will be asked to pick an assist. select the third option, and make your own assist. it will take a while until the achievement unlocks. some people reported getting this achievement after anywhere between 7 - 50+ matches.
- Prolox - Words are fun - expand your vocabulary
- How to unlock: as you finish combos, you may notice a word under the number. There is a word for each number, and you will need to get around 60 - 80 words for this achievement to unlock.
- Real Circus Damage - And now, for the main attraction... Grappling!
- How to unlock: This is a character specific achievement involving Cerebella. the objective is to perform at least a total of 50 of her throws (regular, special, super). It doesn't need to be done in one match, as it keeps track of your overall progress.
- The Kitchen Sink - Throw everything at them, including...
How to unlock: This is Peacock's character specific achievement. to unlock this achievement, you will have to use her qcb+P move to drop all the object that she could drop. there are three tiers of items that could fall, depend on how long you hold the button in. Here's the list of the items she needs to drop:
No Charge Objects:
- Medicine Bottle
- Tea Cup
- Bowling Ball
- Flower Jar
- Bag of sand
1 ! Charge Objects:
- Spike Ball
- Yukkuri! (Animated head with Japanese speech bubble)
- Peacock Friend 1
- Peacock Friend 2
- Barrel (With turkey inside)
2 !! Charge Objects:
- Spike Balls Barrage
- Easter Island Moai
- Golden Monster Fridge
- Steam Roller
- No Charge Objects:
- Instant Hair Dash - Let your parasite feel the wind between his tendrils.
- How to unlock: This is Filia's character specific achievement. what you have to do is air-dash cancel out of her attacks around 60 times overall. pretty basic.
- Good Hunting, Commander - A good commander knows how to wield her forces effectively.
How to unlock: This is Parasol's character specific achievement. Your objective is to call on her egrets a total of 100 times, It doesn't matter which one you do, as it will all accumulate towards the achievement. here are the three commands:
- Egret Call (Hold Back, then press Forward + Light Kick)
- Egret Dive (Hold Back, then press Forward + Medium Kick)
- Egret Charge (Hold Back, then press Forward + Heavy Kick)
- Getting A Head In The Game - Sometimes you just need to relax and take the weight off your shoulders.
- How to unlock: This is Ms. Fortune's character specific achievement. All you have to do is have Ms. Fortune take her head off for a total of around a hour. this is accumulative across all matches. to take her head off, use her QCB + P move. If she was interrupted in the middle of her s.MP, s.HP, or c.HP, then her head will drop as well.
- Medical Board Will Be Notified - Your opponents aren't the only ones under the knife
- How to unlock: This is Valentine's character specific achievement. You will have to use her lvl. 5 super move (Forbidden Procedure: Rebirth Ex Machina) to revive your teammate, as well as hit your opponent at the exact same time, around 30 times. The command for the move is this: QCB + ( (MP + MK) or (HP + HK) )
- My Pain Will Be Visited Upon You - Sometimes you can take it, and sometimes you want to lash out.
- How to unlock: This is Painwheel's character specific achievement. the objective is to deal out alot of damage using Painwheel's Lvl.3 super (Hatred Install). By activating Hatred Install (QCB + PP), Painwheel will be able to perform counter attacks whenever she gets hit. the easiest way to get this achievement (at least the was I did it) was against Cerebella. With Cerebella, have her activate the Lvl. 3 super Diamonds are Forever (QCB + PP). Have Painwheel stay a distance from cerebella when she put her hand on the ground for the super. Painwheel, already with Hatred Install activated, have Painwheel charge s.HP. if timed right, Painwheel would have asorbed the stronger part of Cerbella's super, and inflict a lot of damage. Follow it up immediately with Painwheel's Lvl.1 super Death Crawl (QBF +PP), and the achievement would have unlocked after you deal enough damage.
- Toil and Trouble - A sesquidecemvir of seven simulacra synergizing simultaneously
How to unlock: despite the wierdness of the achievement description, this is Double's character specific achievement. What you need to do is pull of a combo that involves transforming into the entire cast. Here's a simple combo that can be done in the corner:
j.HP, s.LP, s.MP, s.HP, c.MK, s.HK, j.MK
- transformations in order in combo: Painwheel, Filia, Peacock, Cerebella, Parasol, Ms. Fortune, Valentine
- j.HP, s.LP, s.MP, s.HP, c.MK, s.HK, j.MK
Before I go, I would like to mention how to unlock the four extra color palettes. here they are in order:
- 7th color: Finish story mode (have to do it with each character for this color)
- 8th color: Finish Arcade mode (Just like with the the 7th color, you will have to clear it with each character to unlock this color. the good news: if you play arcade mode with a team, then all the characters that was on the team will have this color unlocked as well.)
- 9th color: Win 25-30 Versus matches (online or offline, or both combined) you will have to do this with each character for this color as well
- 10th color: This requires an old-school fighting game code. in the main menu, choose local versus. when you are on the controller screen (where you select what side you want to be on), Input this code: for the 360: Down, RB, Left, LB, Y, B. For the PS3: Down, R1, Left, L1, Square, X. you should see the message (New color palette available) appear. this will unlock the 10th color for the entire cast. Do note that the old-school code I'm relating to is the Same Character code that was used on Street Fighter II back on the SNES.
Tell me what you think of this story and guide? Vote, and leave your comments in the bottom. Don't be a Jimmy!!
Other Stories done by me:
Sega is finally bringing the updated Virtua Fighter 5 game into consoles.
Sega announced that they will be bringing out Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown, to XBLA and PSN next summer. this is the second revision of Virtua Fighter 5 which was released in arcades. it will feature further balancing from the original VF5, exquisite arenas, new characters, such as Taka Arashi, the sumo wrestler from VF3, and Jean Kujo, an entirely new character for this game, for a total of 19 characters, and extensive customizations for the characters.
I'm really excited for this game. I've been waiting for an updated version of Virtua Fighter 5 to come here for a long time now, and learning of this news now, it makes me want to get back on VF. I'll be interesting to see how they rebalance this game, especially since I want to see what they do with my character, Brad Burns, a character who specializes in kickboxing.
Here's the trailer for the game:
Leave your comments in the bottom, and don't be a Jimmy!! I'll see you at the next World Fighting Tournament.
A List of what's to come this week on xbox live
New week, new deals. Let's see what's coming this week.Read full story...
Check out what on today's Cyber Monday sale on Xbox Live.
Black Friday may be over, but the sales keeps on going. See what's on sale for today only on Xbox Live:Read full story...
SNK has announced when the 02: UM will be released.
The King of Fighters 2002: Unlimited Match is finally getting a Western release. The game is hitting Xbox Live Arcade this fall. But when?
The game will be released on November 3rd and priced at 800 Microsoft Points. It's a hi-def port of the arcade game and features new characters, updated stages, new moves and more. The arcade original is a favorite with hardcore SNK fans — some even prefer it to the recently released King of Fighters XIII!
I myself personally loved the KoF Series. I remember when i went to a convention (Metrocon, I speaking about you), I would go to the game room and they actually had the game (the PS2 Jap Ver.). there, I constantly had fun with the game, using my faveorite set of characters (Terry, Athena, and Kusanagi), I would have awesome matches with other attendes. I also managed to get this game myself (by imporing, of course), and took the time to try out all teh characters. It's one of the games I would be playing whenever i have a couple of friends over, and it will always be one of my favorite KoF games around.
By: Arthvader Oct 9, 2010 | 6 Comments
Marvel fans will like what's coming
Just Moments ago, Marvel revealed that Konami will bring out the classic 1992 arcade hit, X-Men, over to XBLA and PSN. The game will feature "drop-in" online multiplayer, supporting up to six players, as well as variable difficulty settings. Please stay tuned for a trailer for this arcade classic.
Here's the trailer:
By: Arthvader Aug 13, 2012 | 1 Comments
I'm back with another entry about Import games. This time, I'll be talking about the Yu Yu Hakusho Games that were on the Super Famicon.
I've personally have been a fan of Yu Yu Hakusho for years now, and I figured it's time for me to talk about the four Yu Yu Hakusho games that were on the Super Famicon (I own three of them).
A list of what's to come this week on Xbox Live
Is there anything worth getting this week? Let's find out:Read full story...
A list of what's to come this week on Xbox Live.
Welcome to another week of deals. Let's see what's out this week:Read full story...
Trending Video Games
- Borderlands 3
- Street Fighter IV
- Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2019
- Rage 2
- JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
- Mortal Kombat 11
- Fallout 76
- Crackdown 3
- JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Last Survivor