After some hands-on with Brutal Legend, what's the verdict?
Brutal Legend is a good looking game with some serious production values. It's basically a hack-and-slash 3-d platformer mashup. The animation is great and the dialogue and voice acting (featuring Jack Black) are top-notch. You can certainly expect some laughs while playing through this game. It feels like you're controlling a Jack Black animated feature.
You have two basic weapons, your axe and your guitar. Your axe functions much like you'd expect it to, with decapitated and bisected enemies strewn about in its wake. Your guitar allows you to shoot either some sort of lightning, or pyro effects. The pyro allows you to knock enemies up in the air, where you can knock them out baseball style with your axe.
The controls are tight while on foot, but tend to get a little loose when you're in your vehicle. Like most third person 3-d games, this one too suffers from some camera issues. There are options to set the camera speed, and those help, but a re-center type button would've been nice. One of the boss battles has you driving your car, but the camera is panned out and not behind you which creates a bit of steering trouble (for me anyway).
The finished game also includes a muliplayer mode, which should add some replayability to this title.
If you like the hack-and-slash or 3-d platformer genre, I'm sure you won't be dissapointed with this game. Me, I love everthing about this game, except playing it. It's really not my style, game-play wise. I'd love to watch someone else play through it. I would definitely try before you buy, especially if you have an XBox live gold account, as you can download the demo right now, for free. If you're one of those people who loved Psychonauts so much that you still talk about, well, WTF are you doing reading this, don't you have a pre-order to pick up?
Brutal Legend releases October 13, 2009. Pre-order now.
Enter to win a Free copy of Brutal Legend for the Xbox 360 or PS3! Don't be a Jimmy!
Drawing will be held on October 25th!
Here's the deal Jimmy!
Rule to be entered in the drawing! Read Carefully Jimmy!
You have to register for Gouki.com!
You must upload a Avatar at Gravatar.com.
Add either your Xbox 360 Gamertag or PSN ID or both to your Gouki.com profile.
We have one copy for Xbox 360, which has been opened for review purposes.
Also we have one copy for PS3 brand new sealed Jimmy!
Sponsored by [email protected]
*Terms/conditions subject to change at anytime. Gouki.com reserves all rights to this giveaway. Winner will be notified by email so make sure your email is correct in your profile Jimmy!
The Wii dominates hardware, and the XBox 360 dominates software. Where is Brutal Legend?
Here are the numbers for October 2009
- Wii – 506,900
- DS – 457,600
- PS3 – 320,600
- Xbox 360 – 249,700
- PSP – 174,600
- PS2 – 117,800
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - Sony (PlayStation 3) - 537,000
- Wii Fit Plus - Nintendo (Wii) - 441,000
- Borderlands - Take-Two (Xbox 360) - 418,000
Wii Sports Resort - Nintendo (Wii) - 314,000
- NBA 2K10 - Take-Two (Xbox 360) - 311,000
- Halo 3: ODST - Microsoft (Xbox 360) - 271,000
- NBA 2K10 - Take-Two (PlayStation 3) - 213,000
- Forza Motorsport 3 - Microsoft (Xbox 360) - 175,000
- Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days - Square Enix (Nintendo DS) - 169,000
- FIFA Soccer 10 - Electronic Arts (Xbox 360) - 156,000
Some things to notice:
- Brutal Legend did not make the top 10
- NBA 2K10 was the only multiplatform game to make the list twice (once for the 360 and once for the PS3).
- Halo 3: ODST showed continuing strong sales to stay on the list despite being released in September.
- Borderlands for the Xbox 360 showed surprisingly strong sales to take the number 3 slot.
- Uncharted 2 gets commercial success to go with its critical success and probably moved more than a few PS3 hardware sales.
- The XBox 360 continues to sell more software than the competition, but hardware sales have slowed compared to the PS3 and Wii. Has the 360 reached saturation at its current price point already? I'm sure we won't see another price cut this year with the holidays so close, but it seems to be only a matter of time.
- I can't believe how many people are still buying a PS2.
Next month we will get to see MW2 in the list. I'm Oscar Mike!
Brutal Legend and Uncharted 2: Among Thieves ZOMG!
I didn't think that the two lead off games would ever be Brutal Legend or Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. I would like to say though ... I'm kind of getting into the Brutal Legend. It's totally not a music genre I'm excited about, but I like a little rock and roll. The game is like an album cover of old metal rock bands record covers. The music is authentic. First Impressions coming later. Check out the Brutal Legend giveaway.
I haven't started the Uncharted 2 as of yet, but I'm going in soon Jimmy! Gorilla Warbear wants to get the final Vidmaster Acheivements on the ODST so I'll probably mix some of that in. Here's the lineup for today!
Playing today ...
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Halo 3 ODST
Dragon Quest VIII
Trending Video Games
- Stranger Of Paradise FFO
- Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
- Resident Evil TV Series
- Dragon Age: Absolution
- Marvel's Midnight Suns
- Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope
- Gotham Knights
- Dying Light 2
- Triangle Strategy