The first week of MVC3, I settled into a team of x-23, Magneto and Morrigan. Without knowing it, the team worked well in Unison. In the past couple of months I've switched out Morrigan for Wesker. Both characters have their own uses for the team.
First off, I'll go through how all the team members work out with each other and basic strengths, then I'll go into the Morrigan or Wesker comparison for who is overall better. I won't go into detail with combos, this is just a basic overview.
X-23 usually goes as my starting character. Fast rush down and multi-hit attacks work great in the start.
- Decent ground combo, air combo, then Wesker low assist on ground into Weapon X-Prime leaves the opponent in a spinning state. DHC-ing into Wesker's Rhino Charge resets the damage. After Rhino charge do low shot, crouching combo into launch combo. Using these 2 bars is enough to kill Sentinel (I use him a an example because of how annoying he is) and most characters in the game. Tanks like Hulk and Thor are left with a quarter health. She can use the same technique and DHC glitch into Mag's Tempest.
- During her combos, she has high mix-ups with H Mirage Feint. Calling Wesker low assist during these causes an un-block-able when timed correctly.
- Using Magneto's Disrupter assist to cover your M Mirage Feint can cross up opponents and ultimately helps you get in very fast.
- X-23's BnB combos ending with her Rage Trigger Super do great damage and are easy to score. Morrigans meter building assist a long with the amount of Meter both x-23 and Magneto build in their long combos, makes 5 meters extremely easy to get.
- She can also DHC her lvl 1's into Any of Weskers supers, Magnetos (Tempest only upon X-Prime) and all of Morrigan's.
Magneto is usually my second (sometimes first). His keep away game is good and his air-combos are amazing.
- Both Wesker and X-23 help magneto create tricky blocking situations and un-block-ables. While someone is blocking his low combo, he can call Wesker or X-23 low assist, and go into flight mode for an instant overhead.
- Another great tool for the low assist is doing ridiculous Magneto combos. Basic low combo into air combo, upon spiking them down, call one of the low assist and hyper grab, you can link this into super or relauch for another air combo, spike down, and do the same with the second assist. With enough meter, I usually end this with lvl 3. The hyper grab with these assist also allows a free snapback.
- With DHC'S, both of Mag's lvl 1's link with 23's lvl 1's, and Wesker's Phantom Dance AND his lvl 3! He can also DHC into Morrigan with full damage (if close enough). And anything can be DHC'd into gravity squeezes.
- Alone Magneto is a beast because of his flight cancel combos, L Disrupter and mobility.
Morrigan I feel has the strongest comeback factor (but lowest damage) and is usually last.
- Morrigan is last for her strong ability to put on high-low mix up pressure. Her Clone super a long with x-factor can be extremely confusing for people to deal with.
- While Morrigan does her multi hit high S attack, you can immediately start attacking low. If they are blocking low, I can call x-23 low assist and then air S while x23 hits low.
- Morrigan's fireballs are slow and her Flight Mode is as well. Mag's Disrupter assist is a great tool for helping her get in.
- Morrigan's air properties are a bit weird during her combos, but it is possible to get an extended combo with 23's low assist after air combo.
- She can flight cancel her fireballs ; 2 fireballs on screen at once. During her clone super, this makes 4 fireballs at once. Doing that a long with Magnetos beam assist causes TONS of frustration and damage, or lots of chip.
- All of Morrigan's supers DHC extremely well with her teammates. The Finishing Shower and Astral Servant both hold the enemies well enough for a full DHC to hit.
Wesker is also used as a last character because of the huge comeback factor. His damage is already amazing and in X-factor it is unbelievable. Also since Wesker has so many tools, he can handle comebacks well. But his explosive damage and command grab make him a great starter as well.
- After Wesker's Air combo, he can gunshot into Magneto assist, leading into another launch, then gun shot into 23 assist for a third launch. The scaling does get heavy, and the hit stun deterioration is noticeable, but this can be ended with another gunshot team super, x factor combo or air super.
- Firing your gun as Magneto shoots Disrupter, then immediately teleporting while the beam shoots can cause great confusion in your opponents.
- Only chip damage he has is the gun and Phantom Dance super. They both do very little chip, but the gun does a chunk in x-factor.
- Can DHC from Phantom Dance to Weapon X Prime but can be tricky but if y have a third member , this could lead into a awesome dhc reset depending on their super. Most of Wesker's DHC options miss, only do a little damage or take awkward timing.
- Low assist during block string into air teleport behind enemy for an overhead can be a bit tricky.
SOOOOOO, how do they do overall?
- Meter building assist is rape, especially since Magneto and X-23 can easily end very big combos with a super. Also having ton of meter towards the end and using Clone assist as much as possible with X-factor is a godlike way to make a comeback.
- Air S is one of the best anti- armor moves in the game.
- Flight Cancel combos create annoying fireballs, and make any unsafe move...safe :p
- Lvl 1's can be DHC'd into very well, more importantly her lvl 3 is EXTREMELY DHC friendly due to the awesome hit box and active frames.
- Has trouble getting in sometimes due to her extremely limited movement. But can keep you guessing with the options she has while flying.
- Attacks can be confusing and great block strings, but without an assist someone can get used to the mix ups.
- Command grab isn't comoable, but her back throw is...
- Air combos are a bit weak without flight cancels
- The strongest out of the team, way stronger than Morrigan. And most Health.
- Most versatility and tools. Combo-able command grabs, several wall bounce moves and amazing re-launch combos with assist.
- DHC's can be weird at times and lvl 3 dhc takes weird timing due to small hit box.
- Gun teleport combos can be tricky and create cross ups.
- Can't fly, but can teleport 3 times in the air before landing.
Overall, Wesker is a better character. But someone who has trouble with high-low mix ups, crazy fireball zoning and extremely long block strings can be destroyed easily by Morrigan. In the end, depending on the player I switch them in and out. Sometimes having both of them on the same team by taking out Magnus ;) 3 Things Morrigan definitely has over Wesker are zoning(his gun and teleports are fast but, someone who can fly and litter the screen with fireballs is more effective), ability to fly around and extremely fast moves that beat armor attacks a long with her her multi hit jumping S that rapes armor. The overkill power of Wesker in lvl 3 X-factor can kill most characters with counter super into abc launch combo easily and his speed is great.
Hope you enjoyed the read, maybe it helped you with some strategies. I wish I could show combos and strategies in a video but...I have no camera. Next time I'll go over my second team consisting of Ryu, Hulk and Shuma/Morrigan .
Trending Video Games
- The Last of Us Part II
- Remember Me
- Cyberpunk 2077
- Final Fantasy VII Remake
- Beyond Good and Evil 2
- Marvel's Avengers
- Ghost of Tsushima
- Rage 2
- Alice Madness Returns
- Crackdown 3